Naturalization And Citizenship

Austin Immigration Attorney

Naturalization And Citizenship

How Can I Become A United States Citizen?

If you were born in the United States, you are a United States citizen. If your parents are U.S. citizens, but you were born in another country, your parents may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA).

Many parents also apply for a United States passport for the child at the time of the child’s birth. A valid, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

You may apply for citizenship through your parents’ status, or through naturalization.

What Is Naturalization?

Naturalization is the process of applying for U.S. citizenship through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) branch of the Department of Homeland Security.

If you are not already a U.S. citizen you may qualify for naturalization if you:

  • Are at least 18 years old
  • Have been a permanent resident for at least five years, or
  • Are married to a U.S. citizen, you have been a permanent resident for at least three years, or
  • Actively serving, or served, in the United States armed forces for at least one year

While you do not need a lawyer to apply for citizenship through naturalization, your process of doing so may be smoother with one.

The Law Office of Mark Kinzler, PC in Austin can provide the help you need to move confidently in the direction of pursuing your future opportunities as a U.S. citizen. Complete our online form for a consultation, or call our office at 512-402-7999.

Were You Told You Could Never Naturalize?

If you or a loved one was told they could never naturalize, and even if you think you are not eligible, attorney Mark Kinzler might be able to help you.

During the process of naturalization, the USCIS looks to the applicants:

  • Physical presence and continuous residence
  • Good moral character
  • Passing score on the English and civics test
  • Paid application fees
  • Attachment to the United States Constitution

If you have been ordered to be removed from the United States, you are no longer eligible for naturalization. However, there are naturalization exceptions for people applying for naturalization based on service in the United States military.

Our office has successfully helped immigrants from the application process and on up through their interview to become naturalized citizens.

Mr. Kinzler has helped immigrants in Texas seeking citizenship through naturalization for over 15 years. Call his office to learn more at 512-402-7999, or if you prefer, you may contact him online.